Wednesday, August 10, 2011

homemade curry chicken- yum!

So even though I have been having a huge love affair with sushi since I've been back to the States (insert Asian joke here), when my mom asked me to cook dinner I decided on a whim to try to cook with some curry. I've always loved curry and so I got super excited when the idea popped in my head. It was a spur of the moment decision so I just improvised with ingredients and preparation as I went along, but the end result was really tasty -even Heidi really liked it, which is saying something! I made sure to use a lot of veggies and some lean chicken breast so that it didn't end up being really unhealthy (on an American scale; in the rest of the world perhaps a different story).

Curry Chicken and Vegetables on White Rice
(serves 4 "hungry man" portions)



3 bell peppers (I used red, orange, yellow)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
4 oz sliced carrots
1 jalapeno pepper (optional, we just like our food a little bit spicier!)
4 lean chicken breasts, sliced into small chunks or thin strips (think chicken fingers)
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
chili powder (optional)
olive oil
3.5 oz curry paste or curry sauce mix (I used golden/yellow curry, but use whatever type you like)
water, as needed
white rice, as desired (chow mein noodles would work too!)

1. Slice up the bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and jalapeno (or whatever vegetables you've chosen to use). Put them all in a bowl and set it aside.
2. Slice up the chicken and put it into its own bowl; add a pinch of salt, pepper and also the garlic.
3. Put around 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sized skillet and add the chicken. Cook on medium heat until chicken is fully cooked (if you are using thin slices, make sure that you flip the chicken so it gets cooked on both sides). Slowly add curry while the chicken is cooking. Add 1 teaspoon of chili powder if you want it to be spicier.
4. Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the veggies to the mix. You can grill or sauté the veggies first if you want, or add them fresh. Add additional olive oil if necessary.
5. You can decide how much water to add, depending on how you like your sauce. To make a semi-thick sauce, add 1/4 cup of water.
6. Cook until the sauce is at desired consistency and the veggies are done.
7. Serve on top of white rice or chow mein noodles.

And...enjoy the deliciousness!!

I also got to do a little shopping for the first time since being back, and got some goodies from Victoria's Secret and Forever 21- two of the hardest shops to resist! Even so, I am definitely missing all of the shopping Europe had to offer- but I'll have to make due for now! I'll be sure to post some pictures of my purchases later. :)

1 comment: